The major components of ASD’s On-line Reading consists of a Primer, Placement Test and Three Series of approximately 7 Modules.
By the end of Primer, the students will learn all the skills to begin reading including, directionality, letter recognition, upper and lower case, color, pattern, shape, and function of letters.
Major concepts include:
- letters have sounds
- ten words consist of meaningful arrangement of letters
- words are read by saying the sounds of letters they contain
- words are read from left to right
- spaces are left between words
- Names begin with capital letters, some letters have more than one sound
- sentences consist of a meaningful group of words
- periods end sentences and question marks end questions.
The Placement Test is for students who begin the program at other than a beginner level, these tests indicate exactly where in the series to start a new student. The test help place students at the ability level where they are most comfortable.
Achievement Tests – Criterion-reinforced tests are available in each module:
- Series 1 consists of modules 1 through 7, students master 13 vowel and 38 consonant lessons and learn approximately 455 phonetically regular words, plus 10 sight words. Upon completion, places the student at approximately a 3rd grade reading level.
- Series 2 consists of modules 8 through 15; covers 40 more vowel patterns and 12 more consonant patterns, as well as 1,768 regular words and 26 sight words. Upon completion, student places at approximately a 5th grade reading level.
- Series 3 consists of modules 16-23, students master an additional 38 vowel and 7 consonant lessons, 3,300 words and 25, sight words. Upon completion, places the student at approximately a 6th grade reading level.
The sequence of the components in the program are as follows:
- Primer 1 – Names of the letters.
- Primer 2 – Sounds of the letters.
- Primer Test – Diagnostic-prescriptive test.
- Placement Test.
- Module 1.
- Module 1A.
- Module 2.
- Module 3.
- Module 4.
- Module 5.
- Module 6.
- Module 7.
- Module 8.
- Module 9.
- Module 10.
- Module 11.
- Module 12.
- Module 13.
- Module 14.
- Module 15.
- Module 16.
- Module 17.
- Module 18.
- Module 19.
- Module 20.
- Module 21.
- Module 22.
- Module 23.